Image: Hitnes mural workshop, 2014. Photograph by Ben MacPherson.
Reignite Public Art Project
Call for Expressions of Interest
Guildhouse is pleased to invite Expressions of Interest from South Australian artists for a mural project on an external wall at Aquinas College, 44 Jeffcott Street, North Adelaide.
The City of Adelaide is commissioning new public artworks by local artists to add vibrancy to main streets and laneways in hospitality, retail and community hubs across the City and North Adelaide.
Part of the City of Adelaide’s $20m+ Reignite Adelaide program, the initiative is designed to give back to our community, celebrate and support local traders and businesses and provide employment opportunities for creatives.
Delivered in partnership with Guildhouse, the $300,000 initiative will see up to 7 new public artworks brighten and activate key precincts.
The initiative was launched in September 2022 with two murals by artist Jack Fran at the Hutt Street Cellars and at the Arab Steed Hotel, one of Adelaide’s most historic hotels.
All works as part of the Reignite project will be completed by June 2023.
Guildhouse has engaged independent curator Julianne Pierce in the role as Public Art Reignite Lead Curator. Julianne will work closely with Guildhouse, City of Adelaide, site owners and/or tenants and the artists on the delivery of the commissioned artworks.
Guildhouse has also engaged independent artist Christine Cholewa as Public Art Reignite Project Manager. Christine will be responsible for liaison on logistical and production elements.
Applications close: Monday 31 October 2022, 9am ACDT (Adelaide time)
Who can apply:
Guildhouse is inviting South Australian visual artists to submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) for this opportunity. You may already be working in street art, public art or mural art, or you may be a visual artist who is interested in creating mural-based works. Artists do not need to be Guildhouse members to apply.
- Deadline for EOI – Monday 31 October 2022, 9am ACDT
- Selection process and shortlisting of artists: 1-4 November 2022
- Site visit, artists briefed and contracted for Concept Design: 7 -9 November 2022
- Concept Development period: 8 November – 11 December 2022
- Concept Submission: 11 December, 10pm
- Concept Design presentations to Guildhouse and Aquinas (opportunity for feedback from the selection committee to give feedback to the artist) – one artist is selected: 13-14 December 2022 – tbc
- Artist contracted for commission: 15 December 2022
- Any further concept development submitted: 16 January 2023
- Artwork creation/installation phase – practical completion February 2023 to align with students return to Aquinas: Feb/March 2023
For queries contact Julianne Pierce, Reignite Lead Curator: firstname.lastname@example.org