Image: The Guildhouse office headquarters. Photograph Lana Adams.
Artists are the first responders, the interpreters of our time, the truth tellers. Guildhouse is seeking to provide a beacon within the Lion Arts Precinct signalling solidarity to the artistic community and inspiration to pedestrians and passers-by.
Applications open: Wednesday 8 December 2021
Applications close: Monday 24 January 2022, 9am ACDT (Adelaide time)
This neon text-based work, a ‘bat signal’, recognising the headquarters of contemporary art within Adelaide’s West End will be viewable from North Terrace and positioned 3 metres above ground with a surface area of 1 x 2.6 metres (width and depth) and a backdrop of red brick.
Artists, designers, craftspeople, writers and poets are invited to consider this public artwork as an opportunity to inspire, comfort, subvert, respond to the times we are living in to a large and diverse audience.
Guildhouse will lead the fabrication and installation with Adelaide Trade Neon. The successful recipient will provide a text based art work for public presentation.
This art commission continues Guildhouse’s ambition to develop artistic and professional excellence and supports the professionalisation of artistic practice. This opportunity will take artists out of their traditional studio practice and support them to extend their work through collaboration, research, experimentation in new environments, and present their work to new and diverse audiences.
The artwork will be presented on the north side of the Guildhouse building, overlooking the Nexus Theatre entrance, with the intention of public presentation for 2 -5 years. An artist fee of $10,000 will be awarded to the recipient/s.
As a beacon of contemporary art, the recipient’s text will also be applied to wearable artefacts, such as (but not limited to) a baseball cap, tea towel, tote bag, jumper and/or tee shirt.
Guildhouse is an equal opportunities employer and persons who identify as Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait islander, or from a diverse cultural background are encouraged to apply. Persons with lived experience of disability are encouraged to apply.
- This opportunity is open to all South Australian based Guildhouse members.
- characters / words to fit within 1 x 2.6 metre space (width and height)
- text size and type to be determined by the artist (due to the allocated space under 8-10 words is advised)
- text must not infringe any existing copyrights
- abusive or inappropriate vernacular/phrasing will not be accepted
- in addition to the external signage, recipients’ text will be applied to Guildhouse materials (including but not limited to wearable accessories such as baseball cap, tee shirt)
- Proposed art work text (due to the allocated space under 8-10 words is advised)
- Concept and design behind the art work text (max 500 words)
- Image of proposed art work
- Artist CV
- Artist Bio
- Support images
For any further information or queries contact Guildhouse Artistic Programs Manager Debbie Pryor on:
Tel: 08 8410 1822 (Monday – Thursday)
Applications close: Monday 24 January 2022, 9am
This commission is supported by The City of Adelaide