Images: Saul Steed, Sam Roberts and Lana Adams.
Dear Members and Friends of Guildhouse,
As we approach the end of 2023, I want to thank you – our community – for your energy, creativity and support.
It’s been a mighty year, with the new Guildhouse team continuing the legacy of providing an expansive, ambitious and important program of artistic and development opportunities that places artists and their needs at our core.
This year we worked hard advocating behind the scenes to successfully maintain affordable insurance as a foundation of professional practice. Thank you to our members for your contributions to these efforts – it’s your voice that matters!
To all the wonderful artists, craftspeople and designers that we have worked with in 2023, congratulations on your tenacity, passion and spectacular achievements. We are so proud to have facilitated $1.3million of expenditure directly to artists and arts workers. The contribution that you make to the social, cultural and physical fabric of our lives is vital.
2023 highlights that demonstrate our commitment to connect art, artists and community include:
- Creation of over 40 powerful new studio works and exhibitions
- Launch of the Adelaide Art Scene: Becoming Contemporary 1939-2000 publication documenting the strength and impact of our dynamic visual arts sector
- Ambitious research-driven residencies that respond to our exquisite local collections and multi-disciplinary design practice
- The delivery of many major public artworks including the extraordinary Ramsay Floating Artwork commission on the iconic Popeye, celebrating the 100 centenary of the birth of James Ramsay, the phenomenal arts philanthropist
- Facilitated 12 fulfilling mentorships, exploring the breadth of conceptual, technical and personal practice
- Inspiring panel talks connecting South Australian artists with national ideas and leaders
- Interactive professional development workshops hosted by expert cultural workers
- 3000+ one-to-one advice given to members and artists
None of this could have been achieved without the incredible collaboration and generous support from like-minded partners, donors and funders. Genuine partnership is fundamental to the way we work at Guildhouse. It allows us to far greater reach than going it alone. Grateful thanks to you all.
Thank you to outgoing Deputy Chair Clare Belfrage for her immense contributions to our organisation, we have recently welcomed new Board member Tsering Hannaford.
To help us in our efforts we appreciate your insight and feedback. Please take the time to respond to Guildhouse’s 2023 sector survey. Your input really helps us to shape and evolve what we do and how we communicate it.
Equally we encourage all our connections to contribute to the consultation towards the development of a new Cultural Policy for our State. Please engage and share the opportunity with your wider circle.
On behalf of the Guildhouse Board and team, thank you again for your support in 2023, and we wish you a safe and restful festive period.