Image: Jenna Pippett, Tender Thing, 2015, installation view Adelaide Town Hall. Courtesy the City of Adelaide.
Guildhouse is calling for expressions of interest from emerging curators for ART WORKS 2020, an exhibition and residency program delivered by Guildhouse in partnership with the City of Adelaide.
This is the third year of the ART WORKS program, which delivers on the City’s Cultural Strategy 2016-23 for Adelaide to be recognised as a cultural incubator where people, enterprises and audiences flourish.
The introduction of an Emerging Curator role to the ART WORKS program aims to enable emerging cultural practitioners to develop and thrive. The Emerging Curator role will facilitate broad cultural engagement and audience development through a program of artist and writers in residence, exhibitions and public programs, supported through embedded professional mentoring.
The Guildhouse partnership is a further exploration of the highly regarded Emerging Curator program that has been previously delivered by Helpmann Academy and Carclew in association with City of Adelaide.
FEES AND RESOURCES
The Emerging Curator will receive a stipend of $10,000 and will enter into an agreement with Guildhouse.
In addition to the stipend, the program offers:
- A desk and computer at the Guildhouse house office in the Lion Arts Centre
- A regular, ongoing program of curatorial and program development mentoring
- The opportunity to develop a layered program that engages diverse audiences, spanning the artist and writer in residencies, as well as key cultural venues in the city
- Access to prominent City of Adelaide spaces including Art Pod, Adelaide Town Hall Reconciliation Room and the City Library.
The aim of the Emerging Curator program is to provide pathway opportunities for a professional curatorial career. The Emerging Curator should be within their first 3-5 years of practice as a curator.
The 2020 program will involve the following:
- Mentorship provided by Guildhouse staff in developing curatorial frameworks, working with artists and writers, exhibition installation, project management, presentation skills, documentation and marketing skills
- The processes for curating interdisciplinary practice where artists might be working across object making, performance, installation, 2D image making and sculpture
- Close liaison with the ART WORKS Artists in Residence and Writer in Residence, working towards exhibition and public outcomes
- Activating and engaging audiences through collaboration and participation
- Responding to at least one element of the key strategic directions identified in the City of Adelaide’s Strategic Plan.
One Emerging Curator will be appointed commencing in January 2020. The duration of the program is 42 weeks with the Emerging Curator based at Guildhouse for approximately one day per week. This timeframe allows for the Emerging Curator to work in dialogue with the ART WORKS Artist and Writer residencies to be held during the year.
ART WORKS 2020 Emerging Curator Expressions of Interest are now open. Closes 29 November, 5 pm.
THE APPLICATION PROCESS
Guildhouse and the City of Adelaide Culture Team will assess applications against the criteria below. Please be sure you are eligible to apply, that your application addresses the criteria, and contains all required inclusions. Applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application in mid-December to commence mid-late January 2020.
- Outcomes must fall into the broad visual arts, craft and design sectors.
- Applications will not be considered that denigrate or exclude any groups in the community
- Successful applicants will need to be financial members of Guildhouse
Applications must include
- Curatorial rationale of a recent project (either executed or proposed) (max 400 words)
- Outline of applicant’s reason for applying and expectations from the Emerging Curator program (max 250 words)
- Emerging Curator biography (max 200 words)
- One page CV
- One consolidated PDF of max 10 pages of support material that could include: exhibition catalogue, exhibition images, writing samples, reviews
- Contact details for two referees
For any further information or queries contact Julianne Pierce at Guildhouse on 8410 1822 or email@example.com