Image: ART WORKS Writer in Residence Susan Charlton at the Adelaide City Library, 2020. Photograph: Sam Roberts.
Guildhouse is calling for expressions of interest from South Australian writers for the ART WORKS 2021 Writer in Residence, a program delivered by Guildhouse in partnership with the City of Adelaide.
The Writer in Residence is an essential component of the ART WORKS 2021 program, providing a critical and contemplative lens across the ART WORKS exhibition and residency program. The Writer in Residence will be embedded within Adelaide City Library and will deliver a program to be developed in consultation with Library staff.
The residency created the setting and conditions for an unexpected shift in my practice, which I’ve previously tried to orchestrate without success … This new form feels like something to build upon and create new works into the future, so I acknowledge the residency as a turning point in my own creative narrative.
Applications close Thursday 18 February, 9am
ABOUT THE RESIDENCY
The timeframe of the Writer in Residence is April to September 2021 to enable interaction across the Emerging Curator and Artist in Residence programs.
The 2021 Writer in Residence program will involve the following:
- The Writer in Residence will be based for approximately 1-2 days per week over a six-month timeframe (April-September 2021) at the City of Adelaide City Libraries
- A desk will be made available in the public space with access to staff amenities and a locker
- The Writer in Residence will develop a dynamic and COVID safe engagement program in consultation with Adelaide City Library for users of the Adelaide City Library
- The Writer in Residence will engage with the Artists in Residence at City of Adelaide ArtPOD to develop writing around the focus of the residencies for publication on Guildhouse website and other platforms
The Writer in Residence will receive a stipend of $3,000 (ex GST) and will enter into an agreement with Guildhouse.
Guildhouse and the City of Adelaide Creative City Team will assess applications against the criteria below, and will invite shortlisted applicants for interview in the week commencing 22 February. Please be sure you are eligible to apply, that your application addresses the criteria, and contains all required inclusions. Applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application in late February 2021 to commence from March 2021 onwards.
Please note: Applications must be submitted via the online form.
Criteria and Eligibility
- Proposals must explore at least one element of the key directions identified in the City of Adelaide’s Strategic Plan (see application info below)
- New work will be created
- Audience development will be explored through collaboration and participation
- Cultural activity in the City of Adelaide will increase
- Outcomes must fall into the broad visual arts, craft and design sectors.
- Applications will not be considered that denigrate or exclude any groups in the community
- Successful applicants who are not current members will be required to join Guildhouse membership
Applications must include
- Approach and rationale to a recent piece of the applicant’s original writing (max 400 words)
- Outline how you will explore ONE key element from the following key directions identified in the City of Adelaide’s Strategic Plan (select one only max 250 words)
- Thriving Communities
- Strong Economies
- Dynamic City Culture
- Environmental Leadership
- Outline of applicant’s reason for applying and expectations from the Writer in Residence program (max 250 words)
- Writer biography (max 200 words)
- One page CV
- One consolidated PDF of max 10 pages of support material that could include: exhibition catalogue, published writings, reviews, articles
- Contact details for two referees
For any further information or queries contact Heidi Kenyon, Programs Officer at Guildhouse on:
Tel: 08 8410 1822 (Wednesday and Friday)