Guildhouse is working in partnership with the City of Port Adelaide Enfield to invite Expressions of Interest from diverse South Australian artists in an integrated public realm arts commission valued at $190,000.
The City of Port Adelaide Enfield has committed to a significant street development of Prospect Road in the suburbs of Blair Athol/Kilburn to provide the community with spaces and environments that foster people coming together around food, family, culture, creativity and celebrations. The area is renowned for its food culture, and has a strong migrant history including diverse cultures and people.
This is an exciting opportunity for an artist or team of artists to contribute to a prominent streetscape project along Prospect Road, Blair Athol/Kilburn. The artwork(s) will reflect the rich cultural diversity of the area and be integrated with the landscape design for the street redevelopment.
Guildhouse is working with the Council, an artist advisory team and WAX Design to help shape the opportunities for public art within the project and will also manage the commissioning process. There is the possibility of more than one artist being selected to create artwork(s) for this project.
We invite South Australian artist teams and individual artists to apply and we encourage and welcome applications from First Nations and culturally diverse artists. Artists are not required to demonstrate previous public art experience, and there is a potential to be mentored through the process, including matching your ideas with fabrication opportunities.
Overall project deadline: December 2021
EOI submission close: Thursday 24 June 2021, 5pm
Concept shortlist notified: Wednesday 7 July 2021
- Create welcoming public spaces for people to gather and use the space for special community events and daily rituals
- Create a strong sense of place
- Create a welcoming and inclusive environment
- Celebrate the diversity of local residents
- Focus on the ways we are connected
- Activate areas for community to gather
- Reflect the existing and changing cultural communities of the area
- Be of a scale relevant to the site
- Be visually appropriate
- Provide an opportunity for artists to express themselves in the public realm
- Add colour, texture and warmth to existing infrastructure elements
- Be integrated into the landscape design
Criteria and Eligibility
When reviewing and selecting the shortlist of artists and artist teams to develop the concept(s), the Concept Selection Panel will select those artists/teams whose submission most clearly demonstrates the following criteria:
- Artistic merit in the visual support material provided
- Demonstrated ability to work on projects – manage timeline and budgets
- Ability to develop and communicate ideas
- Ability to develop engaging concepts for a public space and community
- Demonstrated experience in creating works of art
- Ability to develop concept and experience in collaboration or working to a brief
- Connection to the community and place of Port Adelaide Enfield and specifically Blair Athol/Kilburn
Applications Must Include
- Name, address, email, mobile, web site, socials
- Area of interest and experience as an artist (300 words)
- What is your initial reaction to the brief, and why are you interested in this project? (300 words)
- What is your connection with the site or the community? (300 words)
- Availability for the timeframe of the project: June 2021 – January 2022. Tell us about your commitments over the next six months.
- CV (2 page maximum each artist)
- Support images – up to 9 images of recent artworks or projects with project details, (title, year, location, collaborative partners, materials,)
- Confirm your ability to obtain public liability insurance (up to $20,000,000), and professional indemnity insurance (up to $5,000,000)
- Name and contact details 2 referees that can speak to your arts practice and your ability to expand your professional arts practice to include public art
Please note: Applications must be submitted via the online form.
For any further information or queries contact Christine Cholewa:
Tel: 08 8410 1822