Wed 12 October 2016 6pm – 7:30pm
Pricing: Members: Free / Guests: $20.00
Location: Room BH2-16, Uni SA, City West Campus
Presenter: Brian Tucker
Bookings are no longer available.
This workshop will take you through the effective management of tax for artists and creative professionals. This session will help you to understand the financial management basics of running your creative practice.
This workshop will cover key fundamentals of tax for artists including:
- What paperwork you need to keep and how to organise it for the accountant
- Discover what expenses you can claim and how to claim them
- Why you need an ABN
- If you need to be GST registered or not
- What sort of business structures might be appropriate (or inappropriate) for your practice
- How income averaging works.
- What ‘tests’ the ATO use to work out if you are really “in business” as an artist.
- Hear about how to defend your position against the possible assertion that “this is surely just an expensive hobby”. S
- Spot the perils of section 35-10 of Division 35 of the Income Tax Assessment Act 1997.
Presenter: Your workshop leader Brian Tucker, public accountant with over thirty years experience as treasurer of a number of arts organisations.